Since 2008, BCP has engaged local and national experts in discussion around issues affecting Baltimore City students through the Leading Minds symposium. Topic discussed have direct relevance to improving K-12 education but may have received inadequate attention to date. Our hope is that through these conversations, we will spark a more expansive policy dialogue among business, education, government, and nonprofit leaders – influencing policy to improve educational opportunities and outcomes for all students. Leading Minds will broaden the education community’s knowledge of current policy issues and strengthen its commitment to making our schools more effective.
January 23, 2023 1:00-3:00pm
Morgan State University
Topic: Violence Prevention and the Role of the School
The panelist will include:
- Shantay Jackson, Director at Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement
- Erricka Bridgeford, Community Activist and Founder of Baltimore Peace Movement (previously known as Baltimore Ceasefire)
- Dr Lorece Edwards, Professor, School of Community Health & Policy at Morgan State University
- Mr. Anthony Patterson, Director of Equity and Anti-racism at City Springs Elementary/Middle School
- 8th grade student from City Springs Elementary/Middle School.
- Moderator: Jayne Miller, long-time investigative reporter for WBAL-TV
The Leading Minds symposium is the capstone event for our BCP Winter Assembly, in which we bring together teachers and staff from all six schools for a day of professional development. As in prior years, we expect the forum to attract around 300 attendees- including teachers, educational policymakers, nonprofit leaders and community members.